If you’re using a Facebook Profile to market your small business, you’ve probably been told at least once that it’s important to use a Facebook Page instead. After all, Facebook Profiles are meant for individuals — not brands. And as a result, you’re likely missing out on some of Facebook’s powerful marketing tools for your business if you’re still using a Facebook Profile.
Or maybe you’ve heard the news that Facebook is now inviting content creators to earn money on the platform and are looking to build a Facebook Page in order to take advantage of this opportunity.
Either way, you’ve come to the right place.
Below, we’ll outline the difference between a Facebook Profile and Facebook Page and answer the famous question, “Can I convert my Facebook Profile to a Facebook Page?”
What is the difference between a Facebook Profile and a Facebook Page?
A Facebook Profile is a place for individuals to share information about themselves. If you’ve set up a Facebook Profile before, you’ve probably added content such as a profile photo, your current city or hometown, your interests, and added people you know who are on Facebook as friends. A Facebook Profile is a great way to stay connected with friends and family online and share updates with them.
A Facebook Page, however, is meant for businesses, creators, public figures, nonprofits, or brands. Think of a Page as a way to connect with your supporters or customers. Facebook Pages also come with features such as Insights, Ads, Permissions, Monetization, and more. These resources are the reason a Page is better than a Profile if you are marketing your business or hoping to monetize your content on Facebook.
Can I just convert my existing Facebook Profile into a Facebook Page?
In the past, Facebook allowed users to convert their Profile to a Page by simply generating a Page based on the information already provided and translating the Profile’s friends into Page fans.
However, this is no longer an option.
Instead, you will need to create a new Facebook Page for your business from scratch. Don’t fret — it’s easier than it sounds. In order to manage a Facebook Page, you will need to have a Facebook Profile.
How do I create a Facebook Page for my business or brand?
Luckily, creating a Facebook Page is pretty simple.
To create a Facebook Page, follow these steps:
- Go to facebook.com/pages/create
- Here, you will be asked to provide basic information about your Page, such as:
- What would you like the name of your Page to be? If you are creating this for your business, stick to your business’ name so your customers will be able to easily find you. If you’re creating it as an artist, content creator, or public figure, use your name.
- What category best describes your Page? Facebook has a vast directory of categories, so simply start typing the keyword(s) that best describe your business or brand and select the most applicable choice(s) from the dropdown menu. Facebook allows you to choose up to three categories for your Page.
- A description of your Facebook Page. This can be a description of your business (“Portland’s best donut shop!”) or a short description of what you do (“Skincare enthusiast and former stylist, sharing all of the must-know secrets to better skin.”) The limit is 255 characters, so keep it short and sweet.
Keep in mind that Facebook allows anyone to create a Page, but only official representatives can create a Page for an organization, business, brand, or public figure. In other words, you may be your local coffee shop’s biggest fan, but unless you work for the company and have explicit consent to create the Facebook Page, you should stick to sharing your love for their cold brew and stellar customer service on your own Profile instead.
Once you click ‘Create Page,’ you will be able to add a profile picture and cover photo. These are optional but it is strongly recommended that you add your business logo as it will help your fans quickly identify your business or brand.
After your Page has been created, Facebook will provide you with additional steps to set your Page up for success, such as providing additional information (website URL, physical business location, hours of operation, phone number, etc.) and adding a call-to-action button for your Facebook Page so users can click through and start supporting your business immediately.
How can I get people to ‘like’ my Facebook Page?
Starting a Facebook Page from scratch can be intimidating. But have no fear! Here are a few go-to techniques for getting your Facebook Page in front of your fans and customers in no time.
- Invite your Facebook friends to ‘like’ your new Page
Once you’ve created your new Facebook Page, Facebook allows you to invite your Facebook friends to like it! Your Facebook friends will receive a notification about your new Page and that you have invited them to follow your business on Facebook.
- Share the link to your Facebook Page in other marketing materials, such as on your website, your other social media profiles, and in your emails.
Marketing doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Whenever you want to promote a new marketing channel, it’s important to tap into existing ones. Your email list is a great place to start since these folks have already opted in to receiving marketing emails from you and are likely some of your most engaged customers and supporters. Constant Contact allows you to easily add your social media profiles to your emails. It’s also important to add your social links to your website so visitors know where to find you.
- Make sure that your Facebook Page is easy to find
This one may seem obvious, but if your Facebook Page isn’t easy to find, well… no one’s going to find it.
Here are some tips for optimizing your Facebook Page to be easily found in a search:
- Add all of the applicable information such as your website URL, address, and other identifying information.
- Use images for your cover photo and profile image that are obvious and representative of your brand, such as your logo or a photo of your store.
- Make sure that your page is published. You can check this under Page Settings, General, Page Visibility.
How can I take advantage of Facebook’s new Monetization tools for Content Creators?
Similar to TikTok and YouTube, creators have options to monetize their content on Facebook.
From in-stream ads to Facebook’s Brand Collabs Manager, there are many ways to earn money as a creator on Facebook.
Most recently, Facebook announced even more ways for content creators to make money on Facebook. This announcement included:
- Earning revenue for short-form video
- Opening monetization for more content creators
- Accelerating fan support
What’s the most important takeaway from Facebook’s announcement? Content creators must publish from a Page, not a Profile, and have at least 10,000 followers in order to take advantage of the monetization tools. They must also be at least 18 years old, located in Facebook’s list of supported countries, and be compliant with Facebook’s Partner Monetization Policies.
You can learn more about monetization options on Facebook by visiting the Facebook for Creators hub.
Congratulations on your new Facebook Page! Now what?
Now that your brand or business is on Facebook, the opportunities are endless.
If you are ready to get started with Facebook ads, take advantage of Facebook Live videos, or are simply wondering how often to post on Facebook, we have all of that know-how — and so much more — on the Constant Contact blog.